Friday 9 March 2012

Spring in my step

Is it my new shoes, the warmer weather, better nutrition or the feeling of heading towards a goal  that has given me a spring in my step in the last couple of weeks or is it a combination of all four...?




My new shoes seem to be wearing in quite well; there is some rubbing on the ball of my right foot but I'm hoping that this will disappear once they are fully worn in and when I find the right balance with respect to lacing tightness.

So far, I'm happy with their performance and I feel that my running bio mechanics have become more efficient.  Either that or I am caught up in all the shoe technology hype!  On the last couple of runs when I have got into a good rhythm I have felt that the shoes have helped propel/spring me forward without expelling much energy whilst keeping me on a straight line...




It’s nice that warmer spring weather is starting to emerge although it is likely a certainty with this being the UK that this will bring in more wet weather in the coming months...


In the last couple of long runs I have attempted to improve my nutrition and hydration regimes to try and give me more energy throughout the runs.  It's too early to tell whether my current pre run routine consisting of a cereal bar 2 hours and 500ml of fluids 45 minutes prior to each long run is working as of yet.
I might try to introduce coffee into my pre run routine as some researchers seem to suggest that it will help improve focus, act as a pain killer for any niggles and make carbohydrates work better when running.


Hydration and nutrition is certainly an area that I will be looking to perfect and experiment with over the coming months as my mileage base continues to increase.  I will also need to start looking at which type of fuels work better for me during longer runs to help sustain and boost energy to stave off fatigue i.e. Isotonic fluids/water tablets (as opposed to hypertonic fluids which take longer to enter the blood stream), gels, jelly bean/midget gem sweets, etc.  Problem with the latter type is making them last...




I always seem to run better when I'm heading towards a goal.  It gives my training focus and purpose.  As a result, I have completed some solid runs; 3, 4, 2.5 and 6.5 mile non stop runs last week along with a Galloway 7, 3.5 and 2.5 mile run this week which has helped me to slowly build my base mileage back up leading into an important training milestone next week.


If I can complete the 10 mile Galloway run next week without any major issues then I will be booking my spot in Yeovil's Half Marathon race at the end of the month!

No comments:

Post a Comment