Sunday 30 October 2011

The Galloway Run-Walk-Run Method

Detail on this method is here.  Advantages that I hope to achieve using this method are to reduce fatigue, break up longer distances into manageable chunks, speed recovery, reduce the risk of injury, allow me to feel better after long runs and hopefully allow me to start enjoying the longer runs.

However, the last time I walked in a running session, apart from when I hit the Wall, was as part of the Couch 2 5K running programme last year when most of the sessions included run/walk intervals.  Since then all my sessions after warming up have just contained running elements as part of my routines.  

So is it a good idea now to reintroduce walking elements back into my running and will I still consider myself a runner?   I think that as long as you put the effort and commitment into running regularly as part of your weekly routine regardless of the technique you use then you can still consider yourself a runner.

I have come to the conclusion after reading differing views that everyone has their own opinion and beliefs on who and what makes a runner based on their own style of running and their ability.  I'll never be an athlete, only a casual/amateur runner and as long as this technique over the next few months allows me to reach my goals i.e. to reach my target weight, keep fit, to escape the office, to enjoy and still have fun running with the possibility of being able to complete a marathon then I'll be happy with the walk breaks.

I'm going to be experimenting with different run/walk ratios and putting this technique through its paces over the next few months so I will report back on how I am getting on...

No comments:

Post a Comment