Sunday 2 October 2011

Stourhead 5km Race

This is the first Race Report I'm attempting.  It was my first official race that I entered after completing the Couch to 5Km and 1 hour runner training programmes in February 2011 so I felt ready for a 5km race.  The race was organised by Eco Fitness and the run would take place at the National Trust's Stourhead property in Wiltshire...or so I thought...


...I was expecting the run to be around the actual landscaped grounds where the public normally walk around on paths/trails but the route was on common land (grass and a lot of mud) leading up to King Alfreds Tower, a far cry from the types of running surfaces (pavements/roads) I and my gear were used to by that point.


To say I was unprepared was an understatement.  At least there was no snow but it was still freezing hence the trousers and long sleeved t-shirt (if I remember correctly, a base layer on underneath too!) 




As a result, my pace was slow, a good 10 minutes down on my normal pace so it wasn't my fastest run and as expected with that kind of time I finished at the back of the pack, but it was all good experience of running in a race which I'm hoping to carry through to the City of Salisbury Half Marathon next weekend....well that's the theory anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment